Wednesday, June 23, 2010

my Dog Toby...

 
My grand daughter Eliza is Toby's 'other mommy'....but Toby is hurting right now and she doesn't know about it.
A week ago tomorrow we had him in for a dental cleaning at which time the vet elected to remove 7 of his teeth. We brought him home later that afternoon after dropping him off at 7:30 am. When we got home we noticed that he seemed to be walking like a 'drunk sailor'. Thinking it was the effects of the anesthesia, we were not concerned. The next morning we were. He woke unable to use his back legs correctly. We rushed him into the vet who said that it was a pinched nerve caused by a preexisting problem. HUH? We never KNEW he had a problem with his back. NEVER an indication that we saw. She gave him a steroid shot, some muscle relaxants and something else and sent him home after telling us "Zero activity for one week". Today is day 6 and he seems to be a bit worse after seemingly being a tad bit better yesterday. SO, we called another vet for a second opinion. He then sent us to yet another vet for x-rays and a consultation. We aren't any closer to a decision then we were this morning. We 'did' make am appointment for tomorrow morning with a surgeon but I am thinking right now that we should wait and try more meds and a chiropractor. We have an appt this evening with one. She used it on her own dogs herniated disk and it worked. I am willing to try. The bad side? Toby can become paralyzed with ANY of the methods the vets prescribed. It is all risky yet hopeful..and yet...any of the decisions we are about to make can cause him to lose his ability to move his back legs forever.

And so...one more visit and then we add prayers....
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. It's just me but I'd START with the prayers...which I am sure you have. Poor Toby. Are they thinking he could be paralized with the chiro? Or just what the vet wants to do? Be sure you keep me posted! I want to learn from YOUR lesson on this one, because I don't have any experience on this......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did start with prayers~you know me. But any that others want to add would be appreciated! the chiropractor that I talked to USED THIS ON HER OWN DOG, who had the SAME THING. It worked for her dog, and for 2 of the 4 wiener dogs she saw. She doesn't 'do it'- she teaches us what to do. Marlene, at this point...I think it is worth trying. Surgery seems so drastic....

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my little dog broke his leg I opted to do the other thing instead of surgery (cost would have been 2,000.00) and he runs, jumps, climbs just as well as he did when he didn't have a broken leg. I could see the plate causing more problems with the cold weather we have than anything. Long story short sometimes the other was is just as good if not better than surgery. Never know until you try. Good Luck Auntie

    ReplyDelete